2nd Main Project meeting (February 2023)
On the February 27th, 2023, the partners of the WOOD for HEALTH project met online (MSTeams) in the 2nd main project meeting to discuss the progress, challenges, achievements and future plans for ensuring efficient project implementation. The meeting was recorded and made available for all partners by publishing the record on the Kajaanin Yliopistokeskus YouTube account.
2. Summary by the Lead Partner about the whole project (10-15 minutes) (Dr. Pekka Kilpeläinen, UOULU);
3. Work package (WP) presentations by WP leaders (45 minutes):
- WP2 about the work on collection of national regulations and good practises in relation to wood in healthcare buildings (Presentation by Dr. Anna-Johanna Klasander, WHITE/ presented by Dr. Pekka Kilpeläinen, UOULU);
- WP3 about the coating formulations and synthesis of antimicrobial polymers (Dr. Claudia Shirp, WKI);
- WP4 about the first antimicrobial tests results and plans for further analysis (Dr. Pekka Kilpeläinen, UOULU);
- WP5 about the plans concerning coating characterisations and the necessary inputs from other partners (Dr. Ulrich Hundhausen, NTI);
- WP6 about the dissemination activities including statistics as well as planned activities in the future (Dr. Bruno Andersons, LSIWC).
The activities of each WP are mostly on-time and work is being done to keep it that way. In WP2, intensive work on the use of wood in healthcare buildings from national regulation and good practice perspective has been done and additional examples will be added for obtaining more comprehensive outcomes. In WP3, coating formulations have been developed and antimicrobial agents chosen. In addition, work is being done on the synthesis of antimicrobial polymers. In WP4, base coatings and antimicrobial agents have been investigated by two methods and valuable conclusions are made. In WP5, a detailed experimental setup has been presented and inputs from partners regarding coating amounts and formulations are known and these specimens will be sent for testing. In WP6, the statistics were presented showing that the dissemination activities (articles in public media, conferences, interviews, press releases etc.) have ensured good results in terms of visits and followers for both webpage and social media accounts of the project. All project partners agreed that the next main project meeting should be organized face-to-face for ensuring more efficient exchange of information and discussion. This could be beneficial at this specific period of the project, because of significantly increased interaction between all WPs.
Screenshot of the project group at the end of the discussion about the progress in all work packages during the 2nd main project meeting.
1st Main Project Meeting (September 2022)
WOOD for HEATLH project had its first face-to-face Main project meeting in Göttingen after the 18th Annual Meeting of Northern European Network for Wood Science and Engineering. The meeting was very productive providing clear details of the current state of progress and plans with precise targets for the ongoing and upcoming tasks.
Partners from Finland, Norway, Germany and Latvian were at present. Swedish partner joined the meeting vie remote connections (MSTeams). The consortium presented also a project poster in the Annual Meeting of WSE network.
- Reading and accepting the agenda (Pekka Kilpeläinen, UOULU);
- Update of the WP2 (Wood surfaces in healthcare buildings – practical experience) regarding national practices, examples and regulations concerning wood in healthcare buildings (Anna-Johanna Klasander, WHITE);
- Update of the WP3 (Synthesis and formulation of wood coating materials) regarding coating formulations and further testing (Claudia Shirp, WKI/ Bruno Andersons, LSIWC);
- Update of the WP4 (Antimicrobial, antiviral and hygienic properties of coatings and surfaces) regarding antimicrobial and antiviral testing arrangements (Pekka Kilpeläinen, UOULU);
- Work with WP5 (Technical, environmental and economic product performance) will commence in the next year (Ulrich Hundhausen, NTI);
- Update of the WP6 (Transnational dissemination) regarding dissemination activities (Bruno Andersons, LSIWC) and the progress for the GUIDE (Ulrich Hundhausen, NTI).
- In WP2 the collection of national good practices in use of wood in healthcare buildings and national regulations affecting it were discussed. The national practices have been already collected in those partner countries where there are healthcare buildings with exposed wood surfaces, and now the collection of national regulations will commence.
- In WP3 work with development of new coatings has started both in Germany and Latvia. Collaboration of WP3 with WP4 and WP5 was discussed. WP4 will start to analyze at first pure effective compounds and solvents planned for coatings. German and Latvian partners will decide together which 15-25 samples they will sent for testing during this year.
- The basic structure of forthcoming guide book on use of wood in healthcare buildings was presented in the meeting (WP6), and it will contain also the collected good practices and regulations comparing their differences between countries.
Kick-off meeting (February 2022)
In the Kick-off meeting exact targets and outlines for the project activities for the next 12 months were set. Scientific presentations about the project results and plans were delivered via MS Teams to all the project personnel and interested stakeholders.
- 11:00-11:15 Introduction of team members;
- 11:15-11:25 Overall concept of the project (Pekka Kilpeläinen/Vesa Virtanen, UOULU);
- 11:25-11:35 Introduction of the activities of WP1 (Project management) in the next 12 months (Pekka Kilpeläinen, UOULU);
- 11:35-11:45 Introduction of the activities of WP2 (Wood surfaces in healthcare buildings – practical experience) in the next 12 months (Anna-Johanna Klasander, WHITE);
- 11:45-11:55 Introduction of the activities of WP3 (Synthesis and formulation of wood coating materials) in the next 12 months (Claudia Shirp, WKI);
- 11:55-12:05 Introduction of the activities of WP4 (Antimicrobial, antiviral and hygienic properties of coatings and surfaces) in the next 12 months (Pekka Kilpeläinen, UOULU);
- 11:55-12:05 Introduction of the activities of WP5 (Technical, environmental and economic product performance) in the next 12 months (Ulrich Hundhausen, NTI)
- 11:05-12:15 Introduction of the activities of WP6 (Transnational dissemination) in the next 12 months (Bruno Andersons, LSIWC);
- 12:15-13:00 Discussion.